I just finished this amazing book and was completely blown away with how beautiful the writing, story and characters were. This is a pre-order book for sure.
Cursed with a horoscope that promises a marriage of Death and Destruction, sixteen-year-old Maya has only earned the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her world is upheaved when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. But when her wedding takes a fatal turn, Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Yet neither roles are what she expected. As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds friendship and warmth.
But Akaran has its own secrets – thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Beneath Akaran’s magic, Maya begins to suspect her life is in danger. When she ignores Amar’s plea for patience, her discoveries put more than new love at risk – it threatens the balance of all realms, human and Otherworldly.
Now, Maya must confront a secret that spans reincarnated lives and fight her way through the dangerous underbelly of the Otherworld if she wants to protect the people she loves.
- THE WRITING- Roshani’s writing is so elegant, descriptive and generally beautiful.
- The meshing of Indian culture with common myths/stories- Hades and Persephone with a touch of Beauty and the Beast
- It’s a standalone
- The romance is beautiful- I’m 100% on board this ship.
- The main character, Maya, is seriously kick ass and has an amazing story arc
- There is a flesh-eating demon horse that has a sense of humor.
Are you sold yet??
If you’d like to get a feel for the vibe of the book go check out Roshani Chokshi’s Pinterest page for the novel. So beautiful.